Economic Aspects of Globalization
Enseignant responsable :
- HASSAN HUSSEIN ABDEL MONEIM
Description du contenu de l'enseignement :
The course aims at providing an exploration of the fundamental economic theories which describe/explain the phenomenon of globalization and its consequences.
By the end of this module, students will have demonstrated:
1. An ability to define the concept of globalization, and to describe its different characteristics.
2. An ability to describe the different stages of globalization and its economic implications, issues and challenges.
3. An ability to understand the different classic/neoclassic economic theories (such as Ricardo, HOS etc.) related to globalization and to determine to what extent these theories could shed a light on this phenomenon.
4. An ability to understand the different modern theory of globalization which focus on other key aspect (such as innovation, economy of scales, differentiation of goods, FDIs).
5. An ability to analyse the economic consequences of free trades versus protectionism.
6. An ability to resolve mathematically and/or graphically exercises related to the different theories presented in class.
7. An ability to determine the link (and their limits) between theories studied in class and the different aspect of globalisation.
8. An ability to determine mathematically and graphically (1) a partial equilibrium (2) surpluses (or change in surpluses) of each economic agents and (3) deadweight-losses and how they evolve in situation of autarky and in situation of free trade.
9. An ability to use and adapt economic concepts studied in class on new topics, situations, contexts.
10. An ability to follow the evolution of the financial markets throughout the semester and to be able to link these markets movements to macroeconomics concepts.
Values and Attitudes
11. An ability to take responsibility for their studies in and outside of class and to be proactive and take initiative for further individual development.
12. An ability to work effectively, and appropriately with others in class. .
Mode de contrôle des connaissances :
50% Final Exam + 50% Continuous Assesment.
Bibliographie, lectures recommandées
- Bernard Guillochon, Annie Kawecki, Baptiste Venet et Frédéric Peltrault (2016), Économie internationale , 8ème édition, Dunod
- Mouhoub El Mouhoud (2017), Mondialisation et délocalisation des entreprises, 5ème édition, Coll. Repères, La Découverte
- Krugman, P., M.Obstfeld et M. Melitz (2015), International Econmics, 11th edition, Pearson.